Sunday 12 March 2017

Kitchen stud work and key features progress

The past week has been slower with the kitchen, but that was after 3 days solid work on it. There was much more basic structural work that needed doing than we anticipated. Four lintels and two acro props later we were ready to add the stud work to the walls.

Now, I love exposed stonework, but it's not for the fainthearted. Cleaning it off is hell, repointing it is hell, then using a breathable resin to 'seal' the stones is awful AND expensive. The pay-off is stunning brickwork. However, too much in my humble opinion can feel oppressive, so offsetting it with light airy painted damp proofed walls works very well. As I've said before, I want to renovate the house sympathetically. Its stood for 150+ years and I hope will stand for a lot longer. It has history, so I want to work with the beautiful features it offers. Hence the stud work.

The fireplace space will be open, the old stone lintel being a feature, I bought some lovely Cotswold rustic coloured bricks yesterday to reinforce the old columns that the lintel sat on. They're a light yellow ochre colour, I chose those rather than a standard red brick and we'll use white cement. I hope it will add to the light in the kitchen and lift the colours rather than dulling it down as the flooring will be darker flagstones. Dave has concreted the bottom of the fireplace so it's now level, in preparation for the flooring and building of the new lintel columns. The gas man has moved and refitted the gas pipe for the cooker (we still don't have that up and running - feeding a family with no cooker has just ground to a halt). I'm debating whether to bother repointing the fireplace stones behind as I will be painting the space white anyway to add light. I might just give it all a really good clean instead, then paint on top.

Dean spent three days working solidly, measuring planning, damp proofing and studding out the walls. This proved easier said than done as I keep changing my mind about the finished design of the kitchen. Truthfully, I don't have one. I have a vague idea, but finances and practicality will ultimately win over. I know I want a rustic look and have some beautiful things to put in, but Christ knows, where or how it will all fit together!

So, that's where we are up to now. I'll leave you with some progress pictures.

stud work and fireplace space

Right side of room stud work

Gas pipe refitted and floor concreted

Make shift sink, and left side of room stud work 









2 comments:

  1. I adore Cotswold stone and think you've done a great job exposing your original fireplace and preserving it as a feature. It sounds as though you've had a very intense planning and preparation phase. I've just refitted my kitchen in my modern townhouse. It's been a completely different ball game to yours with no damp proofing or stud walls involved.

    Helene Raymond @ Trade Squad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen, it was quite a planning job. I've learnt so much about how it all fits together. Fascinating, logical & hard work. Loads of fun too though! Hope you're enjoying your new kitchen xx

    ReplyDelete