Sunday 25 September 2016

Furniture recycling for the stony broke!

I've never really liked the more modern furniture. I have a blanket box from Ikea, a couple of crap pine chests of drawers, but other than all that the furniture I own is all older bits and pieces. Nothing matches. Some I've picked up out of desperation and necessity, some I've inherited, and others I've made a conscious decision to buy from furniture recycling schemes. I get lots of things given to me as well. I'm known for my love of recycling, or as it is called now, upcycling. I'm appalling at saying no, or throwing out things that aren't beyond repair. Although I did draw the line at a rattan commode that Annabel got for me (it just wasn't that pretty, sorry Bels xx)!! Had it been one of the famous 'Chippendale commodes', one of which was found in Morton-in-the Marsh in Gloucestershire, selling at Sotheby's for an astronomical price back in 1920, I would, of course, have given it house space (I do ask myself how I know this shit....pun intended).

I appreciate that these older pieces of furniture are made far more robustly- built to last I like to think. Some have a gorgeous patina just as they are, and require nothing more than a good beeswax or linseed oil finish. Others are just crying out to be brought back to life, with a lick of chalk paint, a soft wax and some new handles. Although I do worry about naffing stuff up, so try my best to be sympathetic to the piece rather than follow fashion...remember the rag rolled walls and black ash furniture that were so 'on trend' in the 80's? Ugh...just no!

I love it when a bit of furniture becomes grand, back to it's former glory. I also love it when it gets a little worn in, chipped on the edges or just looks a bit loved and used. That fits in with my house, my hoarded, no, I mean carefully collected, vintage bits and bobs, and my lifestyle too. Most importantly I love a bargain...who doesn't?

I have many 'ongoing' projects, and as you know by now a fondness for lists. Whilst I write down lots, I also have these projects in my head. Some I'll do quickly, others, like the welsh dresser I inherited from my Nanny when she moved, took me ages....around 4 years...to get around to doing!

I keep meaning to do a re upholstery course one day, so I can learn to do more things with chairs and soft furnishings. I'm sure it's not that hard and is just a case of deconstructing with the right tools,  then reconstructing... maybe that will be my next project.

Here are some pictures of things I've tarted up, and a couple that are waiting to be done:



Welsh dresser from my Nanny, this was pine originally. Painted, waxed and filled with vintage china Ive collected from charity shops and brocantes. 

Before. Lamp shade from France, stand also from France given to me by Dad, before - total 10 euros
After. Waxed and patch worked (note the lovely gold frames I also collected from junk shops)


Before. Sewing box, £6 with contents from charity shop in Gloucester

After. Using found material and gold rick rack edging


My beloved Victorian bed. Mum & Dad gave me this when I was about 14. Ive redone this twice as it was left in a shed for about 10 years when I left Bath to come back to Gloucestershire. I had to source the proper ceramic casters and put them back on - that was a job!
In situ, after a wire brush down, and lick of paint. Also a patchwork quilt I made from scraps of  Kaffe Fassett materials

Coco, my French mannequin - waiting to be restored. I found her covered in dust at the back of a brocante. The wooden top part is actually bits from stair finials that I found in the same place. Cost 10 euros


Before. A rocking chair from Dave's Mum. We had one like this when we were kids, so I have an affection for these.
After. With a crochet blanket I taught myself to make.



Before. Old sewing box from Dave's Mum.
After. Blue and funky!

Before - Lebus dressing table from furniture recycling scheme. Very scratched top. Cost £20
After. Cleaned up and painted and waxed


Before. I actually paid more than I like to with this, but I thought it had potential. £100 from furniture recycling scheme.
After, Painted, waxed and titivated!

This was for my cabinet of curiosities. I love it as is. Cleaned and waxed. £35 from Barnardos in Quedgeley

Old school desk bought from my lovely friend Trish. Waxed and given to my son, who wants to become a writer. (Spot the crap pine chest of drawers)!




No comments:

Post a Comment