Sunday 28 August 2016

Happy 1st (paper) anniversary. An open letter to my house

I've been with you now for 1 rotation of the sun, 12 months, 52 weeks, 365.24 days, 8,765 hours, 526,000 minutes, 31.6 million seconds. You feel like home now. It took about 7 months for that to happen, it was gradual, but one day I just felt peaceful enveloped within you and I just knew.

You gave me the key to your heart and quickly showed me your bad habits and flaws. Some were cute, and I've learnt to accept them, some were a right royal pain in the arse so we've gently worked on them! You learnt about mine, I leave doors open, never iron anything, am dirt blind, and sometimes  (only sometimes), I'm grumpy. I can shut your door to the world, and be comfortable, or I can leave it open and invite people in. Either way we've learnt to live happily & harmoniously together.

Friends love you, they said straight away how well suited we are and that you had a good feeling about you. My boys are happier children, the security and space you offer is important to them (it also means I'm not nagging them anywhere near as much)! My parents pop over and are relaxed in your rooms, we've had lots of happy family meals already, even without a kitchen.

You were damp, sometimes waterlogged, this meant that my drawing papers and sketchpads went limp and mouldy. It seems fitting that for our first anniversary, the paper anniversary, that you have a new roof and are drying out beautifully. My pads and paper are no longer disintegrating and I've just been offered some wall space in a fabulous little restaurant to sell my paintings. Life with you is good!

So here is a little song from me to you, Let's build a home by the White Stripes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HOVEcTDUjg

Happy anniversary my little Pilgrim Cottage, let's grow old together xxx

The dining room (when it was less cluttered)





No comments:

Post a Comment