Sunday 21 August 2016

Day 1 - Mary Jane's Garden Centre

Despite the house being in a desperate state, and us having to clear it before we can even begin to start moving our things in. I decide I will sleep there on the first night, even if it kills me (which it may possibly do - or at least give me some hideous period of sickness). It was like a scene from the Twits, only there was no Roly-Poly bird and Muggle-Wump monkey family.

So I set about ripping up the carpets, which smelt like a cattery...nice! All the floorboards would need woodworm spray treatment before any of us could really live in there, or I could move my furniture in. Annabel and Mum were on cleaning and refreshments duties. The children were at their Dad's. My Dad and the chaps (Keith, Sean and Dave), were also hands on, moving stuff from the house and cellar, into the garage, which was to become the dumping ground for the time being.

Dad was wondering why the cellar had been so well insulated and had such a good lighting system, yet other parts of the living areas of the house had been left, and had, at best naked bulbs, or fizzing strip lights. There were also loads of empty flowerpots and plant feed containers. It all became clear when we found a large pump in the corner of the cellar. Previous tenants somewhere along the line had been running a home business - Mary Jane's Garden Centre down there...no wonder they were so relaxed about DIY and fixing the house up!!

                                                                     Useful 'Pot plant' tools

I adore stories like these as it adds to the character and richness of the houses history. It also explains why there was often a police car casually parked round the back of the house. I think they've realised that we are a pretty bog standard, law abiding family now, as I havn't seen them for months!

By the end of that day I was stinking, itchy and exhausted, Annabel had got through numerous pairs of rubber gloves & bleach. The chaps had done 4 jam packed box van loads of removals so were completely battered too. We popped a bottle of fizz, then they all went home and I collapsed into a nest on the floor that Dave and I had made, my first night in my very own home! xx

Annoyingly I cant find many of the first day photos just now, but I will have a rummage and dig them out, then do a posting about them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment